Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hello.
They call me Glenn, not Maybe. The "they" I speak of is my little (growing) family. There's my wife, Meghan, and my two little girls, Ruby (almost 6) and Ramona (almost 3), and the "growing" bit is in reference to our 3rd kid that is due in March! We are expecting our first boy (whom we are naming, Axl).  That will be a family of five! The wife and I both work full time, I started going to college part time online, Ruby is in Kindergarten, and I'm also an aspiring author. Who's got the time? Glenn, whose got the time, has it because he makes it. I do, that's right.

I wanted to start a blog to sort of work on my writing, keep a journal, and basically have a place to impart my knowledge upon anyone who reads it, or make you a little dumber for doing so.

Let's talk about Glenn.
I am 35. I used to play in punk rock bands (we even made a video once! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDyNKWUpVsA ), now I'm working full time at a Hampton Inn, while going to college in an effort to improve my writing skills. I used to write little crazy horror stories in my old notebooks, just for myself. It was another creative outlet. Then, last year, I decided I wanted to write a novel. It was scary, it was daunting, but I was out of work at the time, and decided "what the hell".

 So, who's got time for college, writing and kids?
Me.
It's not easy, but I find ways (and time) to get things done. The first thing that had to go was playing in bands. As much as I love it, and miss it, I had to prioritize my life. Going back to school was a no-brainer, and with a family of 4 (soon to be 5), so was full time work. Luckily, I love the hotel industry, and the people I work with with. Now, where do I fit in time to write? Wait a minute...what about video games? Surely, a 35 year old man in 2012 plays video games, right? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. It's a vice I haven't quite learned to shake. I am not nearly as bad as others my age, but still probably log 5 to 6 hours of my free time behind a Playstation 3 controller. Now, if you factor in work, watching Ramona, picking or dropping Ruby off from school, putting in at least 6 hours for my school, while still trying to have time to work on my stories...well, you can see where I'm going. Video games (Madden football, and NBA2K basketball)  are really taking up valuable time.There's a guy in my horror writers club that wrote a great piece regarding the need for authors to prioritize their free time. I stopped for about a month, but have since, slipped back into my old ways.  Needless to say, I am still working on it. As for the time to write, well, 2 of my shifts at work are on the night audit. That's a 11 pm -7 am shift. From about midnight to 2 or 3, I have enough quiet time to sit down with my laptop and work on whatever project I'm currently creating. My other shifts are usually 3-11's. On those nights, I try to do a little writing after work, from about midnight to 2. I'll go in to my writing process in a later blog.

I want to keep these little blogs fairly short, and simple. So, I am going to leave this intro blog as is. My apologies, if this first entry is a little un-organized (un-organisized, to quote Mr. Bickle). I will be working towards making a nice, readable blog for the future. And speaking of the future-
I will be writing on the challenges of parenthood (love that TV show, by the way), and the great balancing act it takes to work, go to school, and attempt to begin a writing career.
If you want to follow along, feel free. Oh, and if you're on Facebook, go check out and "like" my writing page: http://www.facebook.com/glennrolfehorror

I'll be here, regardless.

Cheers,
Glenn





No comments:

Post a Comment